Metal Detecting New England Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soaking in Olive Oil

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Coinguy19

Soaking in Olive Oil Empty
PostSubject: Soaking in Olive Oil   Soaking in Olive Oil I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:39 pm

How long do people generally soak a coin in olive oil for? Is it different for every coin? Do you just soak it and check up on it regularly until you see the results you want? After the soaking are there further steps taken to remove loosened dirt and/or oil? Any replies or tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Back to top Go down
billiard rich
Founding Member
Founding Member
billiard rich

PostSubject: Re: Soaking in Olive Oil   Soaking in Olive Oil I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 am

I've never tried olive oil. Seen lots of people recommend it. I guess there's a hit of acid in the oil that helps get the dirt lose. Don't know how long you're supposed to soak the coin.

When you're done, you'll have an oily coin. I've also read that a tooth-pick can be used to gently rub the dirt off the coin. And if it's a very rare coin, they say you're better-off not even trying to clean it - the cleaner you get it the less it's worth.
Back to top Go down
tinky1878
Founding Member
Founding Member
tinky1878

PostSubject: Re: Soaking in Olive Oil   Soaking in Olive Oil I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I use WD-40 most of the time.
Back to top Go down
outback
outback

PostSubject: Re: Soaking in Olive Oil   Soaking in Olive Oil I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 am

I use a spud
Back to top Go down
http://canadiantreasurehounds.s2.bizhat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soaking in Olive Oil   Soaking in Olive Oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soaking in Olive Oil
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Metal Detecting New England Forum :: Metal Detecting :: Cleaning Your Finds-
Jump to: