Metal Detecting New England Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bounty Hunter IV

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin
Lochlainn

Bounty Hunter IV Empty
PostSubject: Bounty Hunter IV   Bounty Hunter IV I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 am

Hi Folks,

Well the Bounty Hunter IV that I ordered for my wife just came in. I must say for 105 bucks I am very impressed. It has 3 operating modes; Full Discriminate, Alll Metal and Tone Discriminate. I especially like the Tone Discriminate mode. In the Tone disc. mode it gives off 2 tones; a high one for the Clad and Silver range, and a low one for the nickel and gold range. With some precise tweaking I was able to get it to give off a solid low tone (with hints of the high tone in the background) for nickels and a broken low/high tone for most pull tabs! That is going to be very useful. The shaft was a little wobbly due to it not fitting completely snug against the upper part of the shaft. A few winds of electrical tape made up for the gap and now it's really solid and doesn't wobble at all. Seems to be pretty well made for the price that I paid. I bought it off of Amazon for 95 bucks..you can get free shipping too. I went with the USPS Priority for a few dollars more. One thing that I think could have been designed a bit better was the battery compartment. It takes 2 9 volts which fit a little too snugly (in my opinion) with the wires. I am worried that over time the wires will snap due to being crunched in so tight with the batteries. But I guess I will just have to be very gentle removing them etc. But all and all my "out of the box" opinion of it is great. We're heading out now to do some detecting and I'll give you an update when I get back after we field test it.

Steve
Back to top Go down
https://mdnewengland.forumotion.com
billiard rich
Founding Member
Founding Member
billiard rich

Bounty Hunter IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bounty Hunter IV   Bounty Hunter IV I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 am

So how are things going with the Tracker IV? That's the one Z118 found a ton of loot with last year. He did so well I was thinking about getting one for a while.
Back to top Go down
Lochlainn
Admin
Admin
Lochlainn

Bounty Hunter IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bounty Hunter IV   Bounty Hunter IV I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:56 am

Well for the 90 bucks I paid for it, I think it's doing ok. I can't say that I am overly impressed with it but I guess you get what you pay for right ? She did manage to find an 1873 indian head penny with it. That was really nice. I think the main thing it is lacking is depth. I think it's about 4-5". But most coins are in that range so it might be adequate. t's really important to run the coil as low as you can and to be disciplined in not swinging high at the end of the swings. I think if I was going to do it again I would spend 60 bucks more and get the Tesoro Compadre if I was buying a budget machine. If anything the Tracker IV makes a great loaner machine. So all and all, I think it's a good buy for the money, but it definitely has it's limitations. But for 90 bucks it finds coins :-)
Back to top Go down
https://mdnewengland.forumotion.com
billiard rich
Founding Member
Founding Member
billiard rich

Bounty Hunter IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bounty Hunter IV   Bounty Hunter IV I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Hey for 90 bucks that's not bad. Maybe I'll try to snag one off ebay for as little as possible and keep it in the car. I keep my Garrett in the car all the time, and it doesn't seem to bother it. But I know it will last longer if I treat it better.

Thanks for the update!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bounty Hunter IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bounty Hunter IV   Bounty Hunter IV I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bounty Hunter IV
Page 1 of 1