Metal Detecting New England Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Playing With The MXT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ClassicIISL
Founding Member
Founding Member
ClassicIISL

Playing With The MXT Empty
PostSubject: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Put the 4x6 DD shooter coil on, went to a small park, and experimented. I noticed if it "locked on" high probability, it was right !! The tabs and bottlecaps were jumping vdi #'s, but I had to dig em, to find out. Even dug a few "locked on " tabs, just in case it coulda been a ring ! Comparing the mxt to the idx pro, if they lock on, they're probably dead on !! jumpin vdi #'s I'm not so sure, I don't have enough time on the machine yet. The small coil, lets you get within inches of a metal backstop pole, or chain link fence. With the Classic and it's 8" coil, I could only get about 8" from the poles, before it would sound off !! Oddly enough, the first coin I found was a 1944 wheatie !! It's pretty beat up though. Both dimes read as dimes, one was on the surface, one was 3" down, but showing it was 5". Two nickels read as 20 vdi, the other 2 read 24, both locked, I don't know why the different #'s though. I noticed the small coil would read 4" for depth, but the actual depth was only 2 or 3. When it read 2" depth it seemed to be right near the surface. Whatever the depth reading, the coin was ALWAYS not that deep, by an inch or two !! Maybe thats just the small coil, again I gotta experiment more !! 2 hrs of playing, I tried the relic mode a little, and the prospecting mode. Heres a pic, I KNOW, I dug a lot of junk, LOL, Rich. Playing With The MXT 04-09-10
Back to top Go down
Brogan
Founding Member
Founding Member
Brogan

PostSubject: Re: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Nice work did you get any silver coins
Back to top Go down
Rudy

PostSubject: Re: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 pm

The MXT, like most detectors, has no way of knowing what coil you have on. The depth indication is calibrated at the factory using the stock 950 coil. The 4x6 will consistently read deeper than the real depth of the target. No big thing and you soon get used to it.
Back to top Go down
ClassicIISL
Founding Member
Founding Member
ClassicIISL

PostSubject: Re: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 am

No silver, Brogan, whats in the pic, is what I got ! Rudy, I kinda figured that was the case, I was playing with the small coil, cause I figured I'd get closer to the metal fence, backstop poles etc. Give me a month or so of running it, I'll come up with some "goodies" LOL, Rich.
Back to top Go down
tinky1878
Founding Member
Founding Member
tinky1878

PostSubject: Re: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Nice finds and nice wheatie! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing With The MXT   Playing With The MXT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Playing With The MXT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Metal Detecting New England Forum :: Metal Detecting :: Stories and Pictures of Finds-
Jump to: