Metal Detecting New England Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TreasureFiend
Founding Member
Founding Member
TreasureFiend

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel Empty
PostSubject: New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel   New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Well I am just gonna jump in and say that the place was awesome!!! The only thing was that I have never hunted in a place with so many roots!!! I mean they were all over the place, like spaghetti noodles in a colander. Well I found 2 first for me, a V-Nickel (1907) and my first SLQ (1918d). But I butchered it!!!

I got a nickel signal and started to dig for it, but again the roots were everywhere!!! Well I got all of the smaller roots out of the way only to come upon 2 bigger roots that formed an X over my target, well Twistidd wound up getting it out and he immediately handed me the coin. We knew it was a nickel and I started to look of any indication of a date. I was just saying "V-Nickel, V-Nickel, V-nickel... then I saw the faint head of Ms. Liberty!!! I have been looking for one of these for awhile now and I couldn't be happier!!!

Then I moved around to the bottom of a small hill and got a sweet signal of silver!!! I had no idea what it was, a dime or a quarter but I kept diggin... I battled the roots to get the SLQ, I only saw the bright silver scratch that I made, so I reached my hand in to pull it out, once in my hand I started screaming in horror!!!! I didn't even clean it off I just walked like a zombie yelling for Twistidd. He saw it and I said clean it off... Then he told me the date and that it is in excellent shape (minus the scar I put on it), I was in shock and felt lowere than low, but at the same time I was happy that I found my first SLQ.

Twistidd got a 1906 Barber dime from like 10 inches!!!

I wound up getting:
1918d SLQ
1907 V-Nickel
1918 Buffalo nickel
1919 Wheatie
1934 Wheatie
1936d Wheatie

Besides damaging my coin I am very happy!!! Oh yea, when I got home I checked my Red book on my SLQ, in Extra fine it is listed for $90... So that got me kinda down, but I would rather have a damaged coin than no coin at all.

Here is the coins the me and Twisdidd found:
New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901312_7d334d3d91_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901316_234bcedda3_o

Now for the closeups...
New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901326_497e07ae05_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901332_6fcc84f74d_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901336_f90dbbbef3_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017901340_3e9c325dfd_o

I found this marble while digging for an iffy coin signal. I never found what was giving me the signal but atleast I pulled something from the hole. It has seen a whole lot of marble games, it has pings all over it and is dull looking so for the pix I dripped some water on it so you can see the cool swirls inside. I found it down about 7 inches, enjoy.

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017581651_d2c6c7a711_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3018414078_35faba0cc4_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3017581591_a311444581_o

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel 3018414016_fc7c1885ed_o
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend
leslie(nova scotia)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
leslie(nova scotia)

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel Empty
PostSubject: yo Treasurefriend   New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 am

From the land ofthe Bluenose.....man those old Yank silvers are great looking coins. You had yourself a field day and by the looks of the haul that spot is worthy of another look see. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voy.com/98887/

New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel
Page 1 of 1