Metal Detecting New England Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A gathering place for metal detectorists from New England and abroad to discuss metal detecting related topics.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TreasureFiend
Founding Member
Founding Member
TreasureFiend

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel Empty
PostSubject: Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel   Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:15 am

Well this morning at 8am I meet up with 4 of my buds in an old Chicago park for a 7 hour hunt. Man was it cold, I was the only one in our group not wearing a Carheart body suit!!! We all had some great finds. In about 10 min into the hunt I got a shallow 2 inch nickel signal. I figured it would be a modern Jefferson but when I pulled it out of the ground I was rewarded with my oldest dug coin so far!!! It was an 1893 V-Nickel!!! All season I was lookin for one and I just got my first last Sunday, now I have 2!!! Later I got a high deep coin signal at about 7 or 8 inches. I thought it was gonna be a silver dime but when I retrieved my target I was pleasantly surprised to find an old thimble. I wiped the dirt off of it and I knew it had to be silver!!! Once I got home I cleaned out the inside and at the bottom I found that it was in fact silver, it is stamped with STERLING. I weighed it and it is 2 grams. I also got an iffy signal by an old tree, when I dug my plug it disappeared. I checked the the hole's walls with my pinpointer and it knocked some dirt loose and out popped an old marble that was about 5 or 6 inches down. So I was happy that I didn't waist my efforts for nothing. Here is the rest of my finds, not including the 2 full pouches of canslaw and wine caps...

The others in the group found atleast 25-30 Wheaties, 6 Indian Head cents, 1 Barber dime, 2 Mercs, 1 silver Roosie, a War Nickel, 2 pocket knifes (1 was an old switchblade) and a Tiffany & Co. locket. Oh yea and and a ton of clad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VN_Qr0oOuI

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel 3036026157_febb751ee0_o

LOL - I didn't know Ms. Liberty had a mustache...
Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel 3036026143_efc9c479cc_o

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel 3036026135_557bf80b6f_o

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel 3036026115_2dd3d3322b

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel 3036026123_32a51143c9
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

Good ole park huntin gets me my oldest coin yet!!! 1893 V-Nickel
Page 1 of 1